Welcome to the Village Inn of Woodstock
Vermont Standard Newspaper August 3, 1899
F.B. Merrill’s new house and barn, at the corner of Pleasant and Stanton streets, are fast approaching completion, and when the hold house is removed, the buildings will stand out attractively. The house is to be ready for occupancy Sept. 1st, and the barn will be occupied this week or next. The house is large, two and a half-stories high, with gable roofs, porte cochere and general modern appearance. The cellar walls are of Brock clear to the cement floor, and the house is thoroughly built through out. The arrangement is admirable, and modern conveniences ample. Both gas and electricity will be used in lighting, and private spring on the hillside will furnish water for most of the lavatories on the second floor, The heating will be done by hot water system. The barn is Mr. Merrill’s especial pride and certainly it is ideal one, having a large carriage room and concave wash platform, a roomy stable with circular high feed racks and iron grain troughs, grill-work stall partitions, large reservoir grain bin, commodious “office” and harness closets with glass doors, high frost-proof watering trough, and numerous minor conveniences. The walls are high, light food, ventilation adequate, and the ceiling and side walls are tightly sheathed with spruce and stained with oil stain. In the big basement is a tight partition enclosing the manure space, and matched spruce boards and altogether this barn is, considering its moderate size, probably the best one in this part of the state.
Vermont Standard Newspaper January 26, 1905
After and illness of a year or more the death of Frederick B. Merrill occurred at his home here on Wednesday January 18, 1905 in the 74th year of his age. Mr. Merrill was the eldest son of the late Prosper Merrill, and was born in Torrington, CT on October 29, 1831.
For many years, Mr. Merrill was engaged in the manufacture of woolen fabrics in Felchville, a good deal of the time as partner with is father. He moved to Woodstock, VT n 1868 purchasing the Black Farm, so called at the lower end of the Village, and for the past 36 years had been a resident of this town.
Mr. Merrill was first married to Miss Esther Dunlap, to whom two daughters were born, namely Martha, who is now Mrs. Oliver T. White of Springfield, Mass and Carrie Louise who died in 1876.
His second marriage was to Miss Calista White on June 23, 1868 at Chester, VT. The fruit of this union was four children; John P now of Boston, Edwin F. deceased, May, wife of Richard Billings of New York and George W. of Woodstock. Mrs. Merrill survives her husband.
After living for eight years on Black Farm, Mr. and Mrs. Merrill sold it to Benjamin F. Dana and moved to Pleasant Street, where they have since lived, although a fine new house has been built on the site of the old house within the past four years.
Mr. Merrill was man of unusual personality, a loyal friend, no less intense in his likes then in his dislikes, and notably helpful, especially to young people whose interests appealed to him. He was an exceptionally humane man, and was for several years the local agent of the Vermont Humane Society. He knew horses and was lover of good ones, and in the later years of his life his pet diversion was his summer cottage at Tyson and excellent fishing there.
Funeral services were held at his home on Sunday afternoon, the Rev. F.C. Putnam officiating.
252. 41 Pleasant Street, F.B. Merrill House, 1899, contributing building
The two-and-one-half-story, Colonial Revival-style house constructed in 1899 has a standing-seam metal, front-gambrel roof with a bracketed cornice; clapboard walls eith corner board; and Brock foundation. The roof has two shed dormers on each slope. The entrance is centered in the three-bay facade (north) elevation beneath a two-story veranda with a standing-seam metal pent roof, wood columns, and wood balustrades. A story, flat-roof entry porch with a projecting bay window above it. The windows are one-over-one, vinyl replacement sash. The facade has a two-story bay window in the west bay and a Palladian window in the gambrel end. A hyphen at the southwest corner connects the house to a two-story converted carriage house woth shed dormers.
The house and barn were constructed in 1899 by F.B. Merrill on the former site of a house built by Marlow A. Smith in 873 that burned in a fire three years later (WHC Vermont Standard Finding Aid). Warren B. Gilchrist, owner of a grain store on Pleasant Street, and his wife Martha resided at this address from at least 1924 through 1929. Clara Voorhees, a widow, owned the house and lived there and lived there with her daughter in 1940. The house is currently operated as The Village Inn bed and breakfast hotel.
- Visit Billings Farm and Museum, a modern working dairy farm and a museum of Vermont farm life in the 1890s.
- Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historic Park, Vermont’s only National Park, focuses on the history and evolution of conservation stewardship in America.
- The Vermont Institute of Natural Science and Raptor Center is New England’s leading Raptor Care and Educational facility, and offers the opportunity to see over 20 species of birds of prey including owls, hawks, falcons and eagles
- See our four covered bridges “one in the center of town, one 4 miles east at Taftsville, the third 3 miles west, and the fourth in Queechee” each spanning the Ottauquechee River.
- Take a guided walking tour of the beautiful homes and buildings here in the village.
- The Woodstock Historical Society , located right in the village in the 1807 Dana House, has changing exhibits that include paintings, decorative arts pieces, textiles, costumes, antique toys, dolls, doll houses, tools and other local items. Guided tours are available. Pentangle Council on the Arts, a non-profit arts council, presents music, theater, dance and family events in the Woodstock Town Hall Theatre, a 400-seat historic theater.
- Visit President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, the birthplace and boyhood home of Calvin Coolidge, in nearby Plymouth Notch.
- The Lebanon Opera House and The Claremont Opera House offer live performances.